Friday, August 15, 2008

Parking Lots and Bad Press

The other day I heard a sports-talk radio host share an experience that caught my attention. He and his wife had gone to dinner, and a church parking lot was across from the restaurant. There was a sign saying that the lot was reserved for church activities, but seeing that it was not a day when any church services were scheduled, and given the fact that others were parking there and walking across the street, the radio host pulled in and parked. When they returned, there was a note on their car from the pastor of the church stating that the lot was for church parking only, and at the bottom, written in large letters, were the words, "CAN YOU READ?"

The radio host shared this on the air, publicizing both the name of the church and the pastor who had written the note. My guess is he will not be visiting that church anytime soon and his listeners probably won't either. (At least for worship - some may actually go there now just to park.) What's that old adage about there being no such thing as bad publicity?

As I finished my drive home that day, I thought about the image of the church that had just been conveyed to thousands of people. This story tells them that the church is more concerned about protecting a parking lot than serving people. It tells them that people of the church will respond with sarcasm and unkindness if they do not do what is expected. It tells them that we are no different in our spirit or priorities than the rest of our culture.

But of course, it's always easy to point a finger and shake your head over what someone else has done. My prayer is that stories like this will bring me to a place of honest self-examination. Am I more concerned about protecting my "stuff" than I am about reaching the people around me? Have I communicated to others a spirit that is sarcastic or unkind? Are there times that I speak when I really should just shut-up? Unfortunately, the answer is sometimes "yes" to all of the above.

In I Corinthians, Paul said that he chose to "put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ." It's pretty clear from his letters that this did not mean Paul let himself be walked on or that he hesitated to speak the truth. I think the point is that, for him, the genuine work of the gospel took priority over his own "stuff" and his perceived "rights." To damage the witness of the gospel for the sake of his own possessions or desires was contrary to the call of Christ.

We constantly face the danger of reversing the order so that defending our "stuff" becomes more important than reaching others with the love of Christ. Will we be more effective in reaching our neighborhoods by putting up signs to protect our parking spaces or by opening up what we have to serve the community? Will we make a greater impression for Jesus by sarcastically chastising those who fail to live up to our expectations or by responding with patience and mercy? If our only choice is between silence and hurtful words, which path puts the work of the gospel first?

The idea of there being no such thing as bad publicity works for those who care only about their own publicity. For those of us who are followers of Jesus, bad press reflects poorly on Him and hurts the mission He has given us. Sometimes, for the sake of the gospel, we need to take down our signs and not write those notes. In the perspective of the Kingdom, people will always be more important than my stuff.

Lord, help me to simply shut-up, park somewhere else, and go love someone.

2 comments:

Todd dixon said...

Im glad you posted this comment, it is a great example of how closely we should watch what we say and do. A story was shared with me recently of a church that wanted to put up gates to keep the school from pulling into their lot to turn around. What kind of story are we sharing with our local school kids. You are welcome here but only if the gates are open (THIS IS INSANE). I am glad that the forgiveness that comes from Christ in never closed, or have we allowed it to open only when it is convenient for us? Just a question.

Heath Countryman said...

I hate parking lot gates. We should pass a resolution for the manual that says "No Parking Lot Gates."