Friday, August 22, 2008

Public Conversations

I've been thinking about the implications of blogs like this one. We now live in a time when pretty much anyone that can turn on a computer can put their thoughts out there for the world to read. And it seems there are those who actually read the thoughts of people like me. (Why, I'm not sure - apparently there's nothing good on TV.) As I thought about that, I came to this realization: our conversations have become public.

When I am part of a public conversation, I need to be concerned about what I am conveying to those who may not be a part of the conversation, but are definitely observing the conversation. Certainly this should be of great concern to those of us who claim to be followers of Christ. Paul tells us in Colossians 4:6, "Be gracious in your speech. The goal is to bring out the best in others in a conversation, not put them down, not cut them out." (The Message) I believe the New Living Translation expresses it this way: "Let your conversation be gracious and attractive." I wonder, do those who observe my public conversations see something attractive and full of grace? Are they drawn toward Jesus?

The other night I visited a website that claims to defend the true gospel and warns of the deceptions that are supposedly undermining the Church. From there I visited many of the other linked sites that contained like-minded arguments and criticisms. Their public conversation reflected a number of ideas: there is only one "right" translation of the Bible, anything and anyone associated with the emerging church is bad, the spiritual formation movement is a spiritual deception, and the Left Behind series is the only orthodox view of eschatology. There was also the occasional hint that Barack Obama is, in fact, the antichrist.

To be honest, I have no problem with them expressing their theological views, even though they may differ from mine. I enjoy a good theological debate. I also choose to believe they are speaking out of a genuine concern for the Church and what they perceive is right. I fully respect their right and their willingness to express their thoughts and convictions. None of that is the issue. What I found disturbing in all this was the lack of graciousness in the conversation. Christian leaders who do not agree with their position were mocked as sell-outs at best and deliberate deceivers at worst. Going beyond the discussion of ideas, they judged the heart and spiritual condition of others. There was a clear absence of respect, civility, and kindness; it all simply, and unfortunately, lacked grace.

Even if we happen to be right about the issue, what do we accomplish if we drive others away with our unkind spirit? I'm not sure "Christian attack-dogs" serve to build the Kingdom. As the followers of Jesus, our conversations should reflect both the grace of God and human graciousness. This is always essential, but its importance is now highlighted by the fact that our conversations have become public. Others are watching. Will they see a love and respect that is different than the hostility they experience in the world? Will they see a kindness, gentleness, and graciousness that is attractive?

I know I have a long way to go, but I hope I am at least walking in that direction.

2 comments:

Paul Dazet said...

Great post Doug!

Thanks for your reminder of our opportunities to communicate with wisdom.

You are appreciated!

Paul

Heath Countryman said...

It is definately that there is nothing good on TV...

Heresy hunters are out in force on the blogosphere. I attempt to confront the confronters whenever I stumble upon them, but for the most part it does not good.

For some reason, there is a segment of the church that feels entitled and empowered to pass judgement apart from relationship. It started years ago with TBN and now filters down to the "discernment ministries" on the web.

Media is a fabulous tool for communication. But is is also a tool for propaganda. It is just sad that Christianity has a branch of propoganda that seems to focus on dividing the Kingdom rather than building it.

How good and pleasant it is when God's people live together in unity! -Psalm 133:1