Friday, January 16, 2009

Getting Personal

The temperature where I live hit about 10 below this morning and, to be honest, I absolutely love it. On days like this, I usually step outside several times during the day without a coat on just experience and enjoy the cold air. There's something about it I like, a quality that is fresh and enlivening. Yes, I know - I'm weird. Your further comments on this subject are unnecessary.

Although I prefer the word "unique" over "weird," I freely admit that I am different in many respects from others around me. But that's okay because so are you. We are all different in a variety of ways and every circumstance in life is unique. As a result, all of our interactions and relationships have a sense of singularity about them, like snowflakes with no two ever being exactly the same. Every relationship possesses a unique quality, every situation or circumstance occurs at a unique point of time shaped by specific and varying factors. The relationships and events of our lives, while exhibiting elements of commonality, are in themselves as exclusive and particular as we are individually.

Why then do I so often expect God to act and respond the same way in every person's life and in every circumstance of my life? Although we talk about a personal relationship with God, we do not expect to experience the dynamic and unique qualities that are exhibited in a true, personal relationship. We assume that God works in everyone's life the same way, that their testimony and spiritual journey must necessarily mirror our own. We presume that God must, in fact, respond to our prayer in a specific way if we simply have faith. We insist that if God is never changing that must mean He will work the same way today as He did yesterday, that previous experiences will be replicated in every circumstance and for everyone else.

Sometimes it feels like we are not really looking for a personal relationship with a personal and relational God. Rather, we prefer to view God as some type of eternal vending machine where we deposit this currency called faith and out drops nicely packaged and uniform products of healing, deliverance, forgiveness, growth, and so on. But relationship don't work that way; they can't work that way. The uniqueness of each individual and every situation produces a dynamic and uncommon quality in every relationship and response. Yes, God is always loving and redemptive, but how that is revealed in my life my look different than it does in my neighbor's life. God is always at work, bringing about His purpose and the purposes of His Kingdom, but how He did that in my life yesterday may not be the way He does it tomorrow. If our God is truly personal and relational, then we must set aside the cookie cutter expectations in this journey of faith.

There is a profound and somewhat disconcerting statement made in the C.S. Lewis book, Prince Caspian. When Lucy asks Aslan why he didn't rush in and rescue them like before, the great lion responds, "Things never happen the same way twice." If this life of faith is one of genuine relationship with a personal God, then so it must be.

1 comment:

keithturtle said...

"Why then do I so often expect God to act and respond the same way in every person's life and in every circumstance of my life?"

I've learned not to put God in a box. It ain't always pretty when He breaks out.

We're better off living with the surprise outcomes; somehow seems to build the faith stronger, no?

Bro Keith