Friday, January 9, 2009

If You Happen to Disagree. . .

I have been questioned, and even criticized at times, for reading books and listening to speakers that come from a different perspective than my own. For those who have raised these questions, the issue is not simply one of secular versus Christian books - it's primarily a concern over reading works from another Christian tradition or those that would disagree with us at certain theological points. The reasoning behind it seems to be twofold: first, my reading of the book could be seen as an implicit acceptance of all that it teaches, and second, I am putting myself in danger of being led astray. Sorry, but I look at it differently. Let me share with you some of the reasons that I read, and will continue to read, books that come from a different theological perspective, even ones with which I disagree.

1.) Doing so teaches me to discern and develops my ability to think through an issue. If I only read books and articles from those I know I'm supposed to agree with, I can walk through the motions of reading without truly thinking. When I encounter something that I know is coming from another perspective, I am forced to read and think carefully, consult the Scriptures, and turn to others for their opinion. Discernment must be practiced to be learned.

2.) Listening to those who disagree with me helps me to clarify, define, and express my own beliefs more effectively. When we are in dialogue with those who fully agree with us, we don't have to explain and communicate everything clearly or accurately. Some things, among those of like mind, are simply understood and accepted. However, when we listen to those from outside our tradition, we gain a sense of how our beliefs are perceived and understood by others. Those conversations force me to clarify and define my views more carefully, and engaging those with whom I disagree teaches me to communicate my beliefs more fully and effectively.

3.) The fact that I disagree with someone on some things doesn't mean they are wrong about everything. I think we need to be humble enough to admit that we can learn from others, even when there are points of disagreement. When we isolate ourselves to the point that we will only listen to those who fully agree with us, we necessarily limit our potential for growth intellectually, spiritually, and relationally.

4.) I cannot assume that I am absolutely right about absolutely everything. Certainly, there are essentials that I hold to and values I will not compromise. However, it is ridiculous to assume that every thought, interpretation, and opinion I have is fully perfected and without error. Only reading and listening to those who agree with me will keep me blind to my weaknesses. It is those who disagree with me that reveal the weaknesses and inconsistencies within my system of thought and practice. Let's face it - sometimes our critics are right.

You know, when you think about it, it's pretty much impossible for two thinking people to fully agree on everything all the time. So, if we took this idea of only reading or listening to those who agree with us and carried it to its logical (or extreme) conclusion, we would all end up sitting in a room alone, talking only to ourselves. You're probably thinking that would be the best thing for me right now. It's okay - I'll still listen to you even though I disagree.

1 comment:

benjaminyost said...

Just want to say thank you for posting. I have enjoyed your posts since about November when I started reading.

It wasn't too long ago that my wife and I were living in Kansas City. She was working at NPH in the teleservice department; she would tell stories about people calling up asking about certain books whether they were okay to read or not (or supported by Nazarene General Superintendents). These books included everything from Henry T. Blackaby's book "Experiencing God" to "Harry Potter." At first we would kind of laugh, but then we felt sorry for them that they needed to get permission to read books. Once again thank you for your post, maybe more people will begin to read and learn to exercise discernment muscles. Have a great day.