Friday, November 21, 2008

The Issue With Taking Issue

I have come to understand that sometimes the issue is not the issue. I'm sure others could express the meaning of that statement in a more coherent and sensible way, but stay with me here. The point is, we have the ability to make a big deal out of some issue or event, when in fact our real concern and motivation is something else entirely. We're even pretty good at fooling ourselves, turning a blind eye to the true motivations behind what we do and say.

Take, for example, the disciples of John the Baptist and their discussion in John 3:22-30. They got into a big argument with someone over the nature of ceremonial washing, but the details of that theological debate are not shared with us. In fact, the very next verse has these disciples returning to John the Baptist and complaining that Jesus was now baptizing and everyone was going to him. Wait a second - what happened to that pressing theological debate about ceremonial washing? Where is the resolution to this monumental issue that brought on such an argument?

Is it possible that the reasons and particulars of this debate are not shared with us because they were not the real issues driving these disciples? Maybe the real issue behind this public argument was actually the concern they shared with John: people were now going to Jesus, and they were not on center stage anymore. You know, one of the easiest ways to get back in the spotlight is to get involved in some public controversy or argument. Could it be that some of John's disciples, threatened by Jesus' rising popularity, stirred up a controversy in order to bring attention back to themselves? That's not to say there weren't some genuine theological issues being debated, but was that the genuine motivation? In other words, was the issue of the debate really the issue, or was it more about their need for attention and position?

I realize I cannot make that judgment with certainty. After all, half the time I can't figure out people here and now, let alone someone that lived centuries ago. However, I believe the question is worth raising, and I believe that because I know myself. To be honest, there have been times when I have taken issue with something or someone, and my real concern was far more personal and self-centered in nature. Debates and crusades over some grand cause can easily provide cover for my need for attention and importance; small issues can grow into great controversy when my ego is the secret motivation.

You can't help but notice that we spend a lot of time in our churches debating matters of all sorts. There are always those on a crusade for some great cause or against some great conspiracy. At times we seem to live for controversy and conflict. And of course, we justify it all as necessary because of the importance of the issues involved. Now I don't question the fact that many of these issues are valid and important, but at the same time, I can't help but wonder if they are always the real issue. Are there times when the conflicts and crusades are actually attempts to fulfill our need for attention, when the controversies are secretly motivated by our desire to control, when the debates are fueled by our desire for importance? For my part, I must admit that there have been times when the answer is "yes."

I doubt that I am alone. So, as the followers of Jesus, let's pray together for a greater awareness and sensitivity to the truth that the issue is not always the issue, and may a spirit of honesty and humility prevail in His Church.

No comments: