Thursday, November 27, 2008

A Renewed Sense of Thanksgiving

As I sat in church last Sunday, I experienced one of those moments that we treasure, a moment when God draws close and speaks to us in a way that is desperately needed. We were singing about our God being "indescribable" and "uncontainable" when the reality of His greatness suddenly took hold of my heart, giving me a deep sense of peace and joy. In that extraordinary moment, the Spirit bore witness to my spirit that our God is bigger than the boxes we so often use to define Him, that He is so much more than our preconceived, predictable, and comfortable notions, and that He is far beyond our frail and limited comprehension. It was an encounter that I personally needed, a reminder that arrived at a critical time, and it's giving shape to my expression of Thanksgiving this week.

I am thankful for a God who is great beyond my comprehension and is never defined by our human paradigms and structures.

I am thankful for a Creator so incredible that through His Word this world of life, beauty, and mystery was spoken into existence.

I am grateful for a Father who loves so deeply and fully that He was willing to risk rejection for the sake of true relationship.

I am thankful for a God who loves so completely that He was willing to restore a sinful and broken world through His own sacrifice.

I am thankful for a Father who is abundant in mercy and delights in forgiveness.

I am thankful for a God who extends to me patience beyond measure in spite of my seemingly endless weaknesses and struggles.

I am thankful for a God who is constant in His heart and character, even when I am not.

I am thankful for a God who understands that I don't always understand and is faithful to me all the same.

Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever. (Psalm 118:1)

No comments: